Dreamworld to demolish death ride

← Homepage



DREAMWORLD has announced the ride that killed four theme park visitors will never run again.

The theme park has this morning issued a statement announcing the Thunder River Rapid ride would be permanently decommissioned following a thorough police investigation that has seen the ride transformed into a crime scene following the deaths two weeks ago.

Parent company Ardent Leisure CEO Deborah Thomas said the ride would be permanently closed as a mark of respect for the grieving families.

Out of respect for the memories of Cindy Low, Roozbeh Araghi, Kate Goodchild and Luke Dorsett, and their deeply affected families, the ride will be permanently decommissioned, she said.

The closure of the ride is the only respectful and appropriate course of action.

Ms Thomas also announced an independent engineering firm had been appointed to lead a safety review of all of Dreamworlds and its sister park WhitewaterWorlds rides and operating systems.

Pitt & Sherry, which has been assigned the task, is said to be one of Australias leading experts in mechanical engineering with extensive experience in providing engineering and technical services for amusement rides and devices, Ms Thomas said.

Dreamworld has also begun an internal review of rides.

No ride at Dreamworld will operate until the Workplace Health and Safety Audit has been completed and unless it passes the multi-level internal review process, Ms Thomas said.

Ardent has also announced it would consult with the families over creating a living memorial to incorporate floral tributes and cards left at the fun parks gates following the tragedy.

Dreamworld has been closed since the deaths last month which occurred when the ride malfunctioned, flipping the raft holding the four victims and two children who miraculously survived.

After scrapping an initial plan to reopen three days after the deaths, Dreamworld bosses said they wouldnt discuss reopening the park until all four funerals had been held.

Ms Goodchild and Mr Dorsett were farewelled in a private ceremony on Monday, completing the last of the victims funerals.

Dreamworld CEO Craig Davidson is scheduled to make an announcement and is expected to give more detail around the rides demolition and parks potential opening on Wednesday afternoon.